Friday, January 13, 2012

Bed In Summer

Bed In Summer

In winter I get up at night
and dress by yellow candle light

In summer quite the other way
I have to go to bed by day

I have to go to and see the birds still hopping on the tree
or hear the grown up people's feet still going past me on the street

And does it not seem hard to you when all the sky is clear and blue
and I should like so much to play to have to go to bed by day?

Robert Louis Stevenson



Isaac had to memorize this for first grade speech meet. I certainly didn't want to forget it. Or the way he says it...all fast and crazy, can't sit still. At seven everything is a race! Who gets their pajamas on fastest, who gets seat belts buckled quicker...every. single. thing. But I guess that's what being a boy is all about... It makes the times when he actually stands there and says it all slow and steady, how he emphasizes certain words, well, it just makes those times that much sweeter.

****

This last week was all about packing and pitching. I've gone through boxes I haven't seen in years. I can't believe half the stuff I held onto for so long. Crazy. It sure does feel good to go through the old stuff and get rid of the things we don't need. As I write that I think about how I want God to do that to me. Sort through all the muck...make room for the good, make room for growing this heart...

Like I was saying, we are in our new place. I couldn't love it more. It's nothing fancy, not at all, but it's perfect. Cozy. Cheerful. It felt like home from the instant we walked in the front door the first time. It gives me hope. The sunshine streaming through the windows, that alone feels like healing. Mending a heart that lost sight of hope for awhile. And the kids? They've fallen perfectly in love with it as well. I thought there might be some scary first-night-in-the-new-house jitters. But nope. I'm always amazed how kids find peace in the simple fact that mom and dad are just a room away. The same peace that comes with knowing our heavenly father is just a prayer away. Closer than that actually. It feels good, it feels safe, it feels right.

Gotta go, time to pick Gabe up from preschool. Happy Friday, Friends!

XOXO,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment